I’m a third year PhD Student in Computer Science at the Insight Centre for Data Analytics, University College Dublin. My primary research involves identifying structure in multi-relational social networks under the supervision of Dr. Derek Greene. My research interests include machine learning, social network analysis, link prediction, network embeddings, temporal role analysis, natural language processing, and digital humanities.
For summer 2018, I will be joining the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University where I will contribute to two projects, one on online media manipulation and a second concerned with harmful speech online.
I am also a part of the ‘Nation, Genre, and Gender’ project, an interdisciplinary collaboration between the Insight Centre and the Humanities Institute at UCD. The aim of this project is to study a collection of Irish and British novels from the 19th Century using both quantitative and qualitative methodologies in order to examine these works from new perspectives.
I was also involved in an industry partnership with Curtiss-Wright from 2016-2017. My work involved implementing a system which could detect anomalies, and classify, in real-time, faults that may occur within complex aviation systems.
Education to Date
- Currently pursuing a PhD in Computer Science at the Insight Centre for Data Analytics, University College Dublin, Ireland.
- MSc in Computer Science from University College Dublin, Ireland.
- BA in Physics from Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
- Runner-Up Prize for the Mary Mulvihill Award 2018 for a collaborative essay written with Abeba Birhane titled: Science: Whose Algorithms? Whose Data?.
- Data Science Student of the Year at the DatSci Awards 2017.
- Best Poster Award at the 4th Insight Student Conference 2017.
- Travel scholarship to attend aTTACheD workshop 2017.
- Travel scholarship and ticket for PyData Berlin Conference 2017.
- Best Paper Award at the 2nd International Workshop on Computational History and Data-Driven Humanities 2016.
I’m currently the teaching assistant for the following modules:
- Semester 1 - COMP20240: Relational Databases and Information Systems for Masters Conversion Students.
- Semester 1 - COMP20070: Databases and Information Systems I.
- Semester 2 - COMP30760: Data Science in Python.
PyData Dublin Organiser
I’m the founder of a new PyData chapter based in Dublin. If you’re interested in learning more about PyData, join our Meetup group, check out our website, and follow the PyData Dublin account on Twitter to find out when the next event is on.
Beginning late 2017, I will be an ambassador for NumFOCUS, a non-profit organisation that supports and promotes world-class, innovative, open source scientific computing.
Python Ireland Committee Member
Responsible for helping to organise Python Ireland meetups each month and the PyData track at PyConIE 2018.
Insight Student Conference Organiser 2018
Organiser for the Insight Student Conference 2018 being held in University College Dublin, Ireland.
Webmaster for Women@CompSci
Webmaster and mentor for the Women@CompSci network in the School of Computer Science, UCD.
- 2018: Helped organise a Women Tech Meetup Summit where women in tech could come together and get to know each other. Event took place on 16th May 2018 in Workday, Dublin.
- 2017: University College Dublin Student Representative for the Insight Student Conference in University College Cork, Ireland.
- 2016: Teaching Assistant for COMP40610: Information Visualisation.
- 2016: Teaching Assistant for COMP30680: Web Application Development.
- 2015: Demonstrator for COMP30030: Introduction to Artificial Intelligence.
- 04.06.2018: Beginning internship with the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University.
- 12.04.2018: Presented a talk at the School of Computer Science Alumni Event 2018, UCD.
- 16.03.2018: Presented a talk on social network analysis to third year Data Science students, UCD.
- 08.03.2018: Panel speaker at the launch of the UCD Women@CompSci Network which took place on International Women’s Day.
- 18.01.2018: Presenting a talk for the Big Data and Analytics Research Group (BDARG) at UL.
- 22.11.2017: Presented a talk at HER+Data Dublin Meetup.
- 10.11.2017: Presented a lunch time talk in Zalando, Dublin.
- 21.10.2017: Presented a talk at PyCon Ireland 2017.
- 07.10.2017: Represented PyData Dublin at 404.
- 22.09.2017: Attended the aTTACheD workshop on bridging disciplines in analysing text as social and cultural data at the Alan Turing Institute, UK.
- 21.09.2017: Attended and won award at DatSci Awards ceremony in Dublin, Ireland.
- 08.09.2017: Presented research at the Insight Student Conference 2017 at University College Cork, Ireland.
- 24-29.07.2017: Attended Computational Social Science summer school held in Sardina, Italy.
- 30-02.07.2017: Attended tutorials and talks at PyData Berlin Conference.
- 19-20.06.2017: Presented research at the Language, Data, and Knowledge Conference at the National University of Ireland, Galway.
- 20-21.09.2016: Presented research at Irish Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science in University College Dublin, Ireland.
- 14.09.2016: Selected to present research at the Insight Student Conference 2016 in Dublin City University, Ireland.
- 25-29.07.2016: Presented as a part of an interdisciplinary panel at The International Association for the study of Irish Literatures Conference in University College Cork, Ireland.
- 01.06.2016: Presented at the Interdisciplinary for Impact workshop at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
- 22-25.05.2016: Presented research at ACM Web Science Conference held in Hannover, Germany.